5.21.2007

Where Have the Drinking Fountains Gone?

Is it just Minneapolis, or have all cities and towns done away with public drinking fountains? Or am I wrong in thinking that if I go to a city park that somewhere amongst the picnic tables and benches there should be a place where water flows out at the push of a button?

As I went on my semi-usual after-school bike ride today (Yes, picture me skidding out on a BMX and making a ramp out of a brick and scrap plywood found in an alley, using it to jump over my Ninja Turtle action figures) I realized that I forgot my water bottle.

"No problem, if I get thirsty I'll stop at one of the many city parks I ride through and get a drink at what must surely be innumerable water fountains contained therein..." I thought to myself, drunk on confidence in the public drinking facilities of Minneapolis.

Oh oh OH was I in for a treat... None. Nada. Zero.

I literally do not *exit* a city park on my bike rides. I start in one, continue through one, and end in one... Where oh where are the drinking fountains?

Am I looking the wrong places? Yes? Maybe? I don't know... It seems like there should be drinking fountains, or at the very least a well-spigot-typey-thing, anytime a group of 2 or more picnic tables exist.

Is this a new thing? Is this a big city thing?

I can remember many many a day riding my bike around the Webster City greater metropolis, and having ample opportunities to drink water. There was a fountain at each of the city parks...

Is this a small town thing?

If it is, what about big cities creates an environment where drinking fountains cannot thrive?

Hmm...

No comments: