"Holy shit! There's something new! Linnea come quick! Bring the camera!"
I have been working on a new album this summer... So far it is vastly different than last summer's in that it is entirely more electric and includes 4270% more drums (check the math on that one).
Drum tracks have been interesting and frustrating to record. I've not had too much trouble with getting the *sound* I want, more the press-record-then-walk-around-the-drumkit-and-play-along-then-make-one-small-mistake-and-then-have-to-get-up-walk-around-the-drumkit-and-stop-recording-reset-hit-record-go-back-around-the-drumkit-and-play-again kind of trouble. The iPhone app "Free Mouse" has alleviated some of that annoyance/time wasting, but it still takes a while.
I envisioned, at the beginning of the summer, an album full of 60s garage rock... As the summer progressed, however, I found myself branching out a bit more. There are a lot more varying styles, which is probably good for the listener! I've also consciously tried to make the songs short and to the point. (Perhaps next summer will be the 20-minute-long-songs prog-rock record)
I have the talented-yet-not-oft-recorded Erik Sherburne coming over to lay down some organ/piano tracks on a couple songs. Should be a nice way to add some variety. Hopefully he doesn't try to "Jazz-it-up" too much... You know him, adding 9ths and dim aug 11ths all over the place...
I'm hoping to lay down the final tracks soon and then finish mixing up before the start of school... But we all know how that goes. Last year I finished it all up over MEA break. We'll see.
But stay tuned for some new tunes soon!