5.24.2007

Come in For Din-Din!

You know how sometimes you just stumble upon a song you really like? I just stumbled onto one... I "Autofilled" my Shuffle (iPod Shuffle, as it's formally known... 'Lil Clippy is what I call him) the other day before my bike ride, and, like most people with large iTunes libraries, I have hundreds of songs that I have never heard...

Why? I get music from people who tell me it's good, and it takes a while for me to get around to listening to it...

But it makes for fun discoveries, such as my recent one, "Supper's Ready" by Genesis...

You might be thinking, "Alright, Phil Collins is cool... I guess...? Is it the B-side to 'I Can't Dance'?"

But no, Genesis was a band before 1986... Well before actually... And also, Peter Gabriel existed before "Sledgehammer"... And believe it or not, both of these things existed as ONE...

It's a fairly obvious fact, but there are those who are oblivious to it...

Anywayssssssss.... "Supper's Ready" is an epic song... Clocks in at just under 24 minutes. Yep. 24. I didn't mistype that...

You see, there are those who like multi-sectioned odd-measured instrumentally-charged pretentious Prog-Art-Nerd-Rock... Namely me... And "Supper's Ready" delights in all those facets...

It goes through a ton of musical changes, has cool solos, uses crazy odd time signatures, and generally has esoteric and nerdy lyrics...

GOOD STUFF!

I highly recommend you give it a listen...

2 comments:

Moid said...

24 minutes for a song? why don't you just slice my throat with a butter knife? I would rather listen to Rush for 30 seconds.. wait.. what?

I disagree.

Willard Facts said...

Clearly Journey needs to record a 24 minute song... Then perhaps you'd like it... Too bad they can't keep the same line-up of musicians long enough to record a song that long...