5.29.2007

Vonnegut = Brilliant

Kurt Vonnegut that is... Jr.... Not his dad....

Just got reading Slaughterhouse Five and I thoroughly enjoyed it.... I think I had read it earlier in life (in high school perhaps.... I can remember reading Breakfast of Champions). I read it basically in two sittings... One Saturday morning at Moid's house, and one Monday afternoon when I got back from Chicago...

What I love about Vonnegut is the way he mixes the absurd with the frighteningly real... In the case of Slaughterhouse Five, it's World War II mixed with alien abduction... Brilliant...

I also love the tone of irony that permeates from everything he writes... You might even say every word in his books are ironic...

Five is an anti-war book, and now, more than ever, we need anti-war books... Although the madness it describes is set in WWII, it is relevant to this day...

Check it out!

No comments: