5.10.2007

Snakes and Arrows and Thoughts

So I've had Rush's new album Snakes and Arrows for almost a month now...

"But Willard," you say, "it came out May 1st... Wha'happan?"

Yes. Yes it did. And I bought it May 1st. And I also have ordered the limited edition DVD (or MVI or DVDMI or MDIVD or whatever they choose to call it next week) version directly from Rush.com...

But... The Internet is a wonderful thing...Wonderful *and* dangerous, yes, but wonderful nonetheless... So I've had it for about a month now.

My first thoughts:

Favorite Track (Currently): "Armor and Sword" - What I greatly like about the song is the verse riff when it's just the acoustic guitar, then the bass and drums come in. The feel is sweet. Sounds more odd time-signatured then 3/4, but it isn't. The entire song should just be this riff for 5 minutes... But, alas, it isn't so that's why I have to listen to it over and over.

Least Favorite Track (Currently): "Good News First" - It's a bit disjointed... I don't mind the effect on the vocals during the verse... It's just I think the "bridge-y-quasi-chorus" with the acoustic guitar near the middle of the track is so out of place... It should have been it's own separate song.

I think sometimes (especially on TFE, VT, and S&A) they try to cram too many song ideas into one song. They'll have an awesome riff, then another, then another, then a different chorus...

Example: "One Little Victory" - Thunderous drum intro, then screaming guitar riff. Awesome. Then the verse. Wha? Different, less rocking riff? But where did my 1st riff go? I think there were two songs there. When the opening riff comes back in the song, it's too late and too weak...

I think that same problem happens with "Good News First", and it darn near does with "The Way the Wind Blows"... With that we go from "The Body Electric" type opening drum riff to blues to riffy rock to acoustic-y rock and back again... Again, perhaps the blues could have been its own song... Just Alex ripping it up for 3 minutes on a blues progression...

Anyway....

Just my first thoughts... I'll be back with more


Open Apple Q

No comments: